Tuesday, October 17, 2006

life at 5

My daughter is now five years old and she absolutely amazes me and cracks me up all in one breath. Here are a few examples of some recent conversations we've had:

We're driving down the road discussing trees and leaves. I'm trying to get her to understand the connection between the name of the season, Fall, with leaves falling off the trees. I'd heard her say something about leaves falling off the trees so they can feed the trees.

5 yr old: The leaves make chlorophyl, right Mommy?

Me: Chlorophyl??? Oh wow, I remember learning about that...way back when...

That Pre-K tuition is money well spent!

*****
This one is from a few months ago, but is one of my favorites. We were driving along-we do a lot of our "heavy" talking while in the car-and we passed the place where we had her 4th birthday party about 6 months earlier.

4 yr old: Those pictures in your head, what are those?

Me: Ummmm...that's your memory, how you remember things

--long pause--

4 yr old: Those pictures in your head, is that your brain??

Me: Well, yes I guess it is

Maybe we'd watched Wizard of Oz a few too many times!

*****

Once again driving down the road, talking about different types of cars-Minivans, SUVs, sedans, sports cars, etc. We had just seen a little two seater convertible sports car that she thought was pretty cool.

5yr old: But where do you put the sweeties???

Apparently I call her sweetie a lot and that is her term for children....

There are more, but my brain is far too tired to remember much more right now.

No comments: